Tottenham have signed former England and Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart on a free transfer, the club have announced. Hart successfully underwent a medical on Monday and will compete with Paulo Gazzaniga to be Hugo Lloris‘ deputy at the north London club in Jose Mourinho’s squad next season.
Hart won the Premier League title twice, the League Cup twice and one FA Cup during his time at Manchester City.
The 33-year-old became a free agent after his contract came to an end at Burnley at the end of last season, in a campaign where he made just three appearances in all competitions for the Clarets in 2019/20.
Hart fell out of favour at Manchester City while still England’s first choice after Pep Guardiola arrived in 2016, with loan spells at Torino and West Ham before a 2018 move to Burnley.
He joined the Clarets from City in 2018 for £3.5 million and made just three appearances for the side during the 2019-20 season. The last time he appeared in the Premier League was against Everton on Boxing Day 2018 when Burnley lost 5-1.
Having won the last of his 75 England caps in November 2017, he lost his Burnley place to Tom Heaton midway through the first season of a two-year deal and then spent 2019-20 on the bench behind Nick Pope.
The former England No 1, was considering a move abroad earlier this summer in search of more game-time.
Hart told The Guardian in May: “I’m totally open. I just want to play at the highest level I can.
“I feel I’ve got a lot of quality and a lot in the bank,” said Hart.
“I’m here to help the team any way I can. Be it on the field, off the field, I’m here to try and push the club forward,” Hart added.
“No getting away from it, it has been a couple of difficult years for me on the football field – but I feel I’ve got so much more to give.”